Caring for your purchase
Caring for Gold, Platinum and Palladium
Believe it or not…all precious metals scratch
All precious metals can scratch, and platinum and palladium are no exception even though they are hard wearing. However, the scratch on the metal is merely a displacement of the metal and none of its volume is lost. Over time gold, platinum and palladium develops a natural patina, which many people find just as attractive as a polished finish.
Caring for your gold, platinum and palladium ring
Follow these simple instructions to maintain your palladium ring’s finish:
- Store pieces separately in a jewellery box or chamois bag so they don't get scratched by other items of jewellery.
- Remove your ring when doing manual work.
- Don't handle bleach or harsh chemicals when wearing your ring. Although they won’t hurt the precious metal, chemicals may discolour some of the softer gemstones.
- Clean your ring periodically in the same way you clean other fine jewellery - using a pre-packaged jewellery cleaner or by soaking it in a mild solution of soap and warm water then gently rubbing it with a soft cloth.
- Have your ring professionally cleaned once in a while.
- If looked after properly your ring should not need to be repaired.